Skip to main content

tv   Nancy Grace  HLN  January 16, 2010 1:00am-2:00am EST

1:00 am
a gorgeous 23-year-old mom takes off from home, tempe, arizona, by car for a 978-mile road trip with her 8-month-old baby boy, gabriel. she ends up holed up in a local motel alone, and calling the biological dad threatening he would never see the baby again, even telling him baby gabriel is dead. turns out, mommy is trying to give the baby away the whole time to an arizona couple. mommy alone, no baby gabriel, hops a bus for florida december 27, the day after the last known sighting of baby gabriel alive.
1:01 am
her car abandoned. december 30, mommy located in miami beach, minus the baby. finally, car recovered san antonio motel 6. baby car seat still inside. when pressed, mommy says she gives the baby away that she bumps into at a texas park. tonight, the mystery of the baby with the angel face. baby gabriel. it's not that i know where he is, but like i told your staff, we have all been talking for the past couple days trying to brainstorm where he is. >> breaking news in the search for missing baby, gabriel johnson. in the last hours, police conduct a search at the home of the couple who had planned to adopt gabriel.
1:02 am
>> arizona police say the couple who wanted to adopt gabriel johnson are now persons of interest in his disappearance. >> armed with a search warrant, investigators spent several hours at the smith's home but won't reveal what they were looking for or what was seized. >> jam and tammi smith now named persons of interest. they would not say why jack and tamm i smith are people are interest. but it is believed they have information about where baby gabriel is. >> the smiths, person of interests in the case, were questioned again by police, and tammi smith admits she lied about how her cousin's name ended up on a court document as a possible biological father of smith. smith says despite that fib, she is not hiding anything. >> the smiths say they are glad to be called persons of interest by police. >> i am happy if that elevates us to where they will come and talk to us because if we haven't been people of interests at this
1:03 am
point it's time that we be and they come and examine everything. >> out to you, michael board. what's the latest? >> well, what we have learned today is we are learning more about the information that police are using to track down the location of little baby gabriel. we already know they have a gps unit retrieved from elizabeth johnson's car, and they are using that to track some of her movements while she was here in san antonio. today, this evening, we're also learning there was a camera that was retrieved that was on her body when she was arrested. hopefully something in the pictures will help track down her movements around san antonio, and hopefully it will give them more clues in finding the child that for now is still missing, and the mother is not talking to investigators. >> and also, in a major development, last night police served a search warrant at the home of the persons of interest,
1:04 am
matt zarrell, what else do we know about that search at the home? >> at this point we know the search took four hours. police questioned the smiths for two hours and then searched the home. we don't know exactly what was taken from the home. tammi smith tells us hard drives were taken and they were looking for a link to gabriel's disappearance. now cops are keeping everything very close to the vest at this point. they are not saying exactly why or if the questioning of tammi smith last night is what led to the search. >> actually, tammi smith is with us right now. tammi, how long were the police at your home last night? >> i would say about six hours. >> do you know what they were looking for or what they took from your home? >> yes, they were just looking for everything inside of our computers and inside our phones. and we have volunteered that information since day one to prove our innocence, and we are extremely happy they came and got it. they didn't have to do it the way they did because we
1:05 am
volunteered it since day one, and i begged them to come to my house and take my computers. >> kind of things were you hoping they would be looking for on your computers? what information would be relevant to the search? >> well, okay. from the beginning, in talking to the police, they asked us did we ever try to help her. i said the only way we tried to help her was before we knew she could change -- whether or not she could change, she was telling us that she was going to run, go into hiding and change her social security number and we panicked at that point and we did not want that baby to vanish into thin air for the rest of his life, and we were grabbing at straws like the police are right now, trying to figure out how to keep the baby still surfaced. you know? and so we had thought of scenarios and we talked to people and friends about the scenario, we have a house in tennessee, and things like that that maybe she could go and stay there.
1:06 am
we can let her stay there and we can help her and while she is changing jurisdictions. by the next day after doing research throughout the next day, we realized, oh, she cannot change jurisdictions. it's illegal. so immediately we started telling her you need to come back, you can't change jurisdictions. and that's when i called janet morris from tennessee and said, hey, she is not coming back. i don't know what to do can you tell her what her legal rights and get her back here? that's what janet did. so the cool thing about our computer will corroborate that entire story. >> were you exchanging messages, were you in contact we liz beth johnson during that time after she left san antonio? >> yes, i have myspace here, and on december 29th i say i believe in my heart you would never hurt him but detectives have your recording that you killed the baby.
1:07 am
and it says, we are also distraught. we love gabriel and you and it goes on to talk about the lead detectives of this case are really feel for you and he wants to help you. you can call detective aguile and it gives his phone number and he truly wants to help you. she sends a message back saying i will never come forward and what i said was wrong, but i wanted him to hurt like he hurt me so that's why i said that. she said we are fine and she goes on through the whole story. and then in the end i had to let you know that we are all right because i know you must be worried sick and i am so sorry for that, i really am. you and jack are good people. >> tammi, did you know -- >> there is a lot of that. there is text messages back and forth asking her to come back, to come to court, we will get an attorney for her and things like that. so now the police have all of that evidence, and now hopefully they will see that and, you
1:08 am
know, because before we told them but they never get it and they never looked at it. hopefully that will show them that we should not be persons of interest at this point because we obviously were looking out for her best interests and making sure that she did everything correct and legal. >> now, tammi, police also talked to you last night, right? you were questioned by police last night? >> yes. questioned about the same things, you know, about if you come forward now, you know, and come clean, you know, and there's nothing to come clean. i didn't -- they think that i set her up with a couple. i did not set her up with a couple. they can search through every ounce of my computers and see that i never -- you know, there was nothing. there is absolutely nothing. i would have had to take a flight somewhere and go sit in an airport looking for a couple for her to adopt the kid out to, the baby out to. you know? it just doesn't make sense.
1:09 am
i mean, there is -- we have nothing. there is nothing. they're grabbing at straws trying to find that.
1:10 am
1:11 am
1:12 am
come forward please. would you state your name and date of birth? >> elizabeth johnson, 7/24/86. >> all right, ma'am. you have been arrested on a direct assault warrant. you have also been arrested on new charges alleging child abuse, class 2 felony and one count of kidnapping, a class 2 felony. i'm going to point the public defender to represent you. does the state wish to be heard? >> yes, your honor. good morning. in this case, the state is requesting that the defendant be held on a $1 million cash only bond. the defendant is charged with kidnapping, child abuse and
1:13 am
custodial interference. your honor, while these are the only charges that the zft currently facing, there's a real potential that she could face more serious charges in the future. this is because in her own words she stated that she killed gabriel. your honor, i just want to briefly touch on the facts in this case which warrant a high bond. on december 11th of 2009, the defendant and logan mcqueary the parents of gabriel met with the judge. on december 27th, 2009, the date that logan was supposed to get gabriel from the defendant, he received a text message from her stating that gabriel was dead. in a subsequent conversation with logan, the defendant told logan that she killed gabriel,
1:14 am
that she put him in a diaper bag and had thrown him in a dumpster. your honor, i do want to point out that the defendant in this case has also admitted tlau media interview that that she did send that text message to logan stating that gabriel was dead. >> i'm sorry. tlau what? >> through a text message. >> she admitted that to? >> in a media interview. >> media interview. thank you. >> yes. your honor, after the conversation with logan where she told him that she put him in a diaper bag and threw him in a dumpster, she told him that he was not going to tell him gabriel's location until she was out of the country and in a safe location. from this point, the search for the defendant and gabriel ensued. the defendant refused to tell investigators or logan where she was located, and investigators began a nationwide search. if it were not for the hard work of the tempe police department and the fbi in this case the
1:15 am
defendant would probably still be on the run. she did everything that she could to conceal her identification, she paid in cash and used a different name, a false name. if the defendant in this case gets out of custody, there's no question that she is a flight risk. not only are the facts of the case the fact that she has already fled, raised the risk for her flight, but the fact she knows that she is currently facing higher charges in this case because gabriel can't be found. your honor, one of the most important reasons that she is deserving of the million cash bond is because of the danger she poses. to this date gabriel has not been found. the search for him is still on. the defendant is the only person who knows where gabriel is and if he is dead or alive. she refuses to cooperate and tell anyone where gabriel is. there are two victims in the case, logan and 8-month-old gabriel.
1:16 am
i want to point out the harm it's caused both of the people in this case. the defendant took gabriel from his father, concealed him, ran to texas, and somewhere in texas says she left gabriel with strangers and/or killed him. we have no idea the harm gabriel has suffered or is continuing to suffer in this case because the defendant refuses to tell anyone where he is or if he is dead or alive. there is a real possibility that gabriel is not alive to this date. he may be dead. he may be alive. if he is alive there is no telling what danger he is currently in. this is all because of the defendant. your honor, the charges that the defendant is facing in this case, the fact that she is an extreme flight risk, the danger that she poses and the harm to the victims in this case all warrant a bond of a million dollars cash only. thank you. >> all right.
1:17 am
thank you and she was apprehe apprehended in texas? >> in miami, your honor. she was actually -- she was located in texas but was not found until she made it to miami. >> all right. ma'am, i have appointed the public defender to represent you. i noted you shaking your head in disagreeing with the comments -- >> yes, everything she was saying was false. >> please do not interrupt. i noted that you were disagreeing by shaking your head back and forth with comments made by the county attorney at various times during her statement. while i recognize you may have a different view of what was said, i am going to urge or ask you not to make any statements here this morning given that you have been appointed an attorney and that obviously that attorney is not present.
1:18 am
that said, if you elect to cooperate and talk to people, that is up to you. but understand that anything you say in here may be used against you. this is all being recorded. all that said, is there anything you want to ask me or tell me? >> ask you? i don't really know what to say but everything is so false, everything she said is so completely false. i don't know what else to say but that. >> very well. thank you. i have reviewed the form 4s. i considered the statements of the state and the recommendation made by the county attorney, and given the gravity of this case and the serious -- very serious allegations as well as the concerns for the continued welfare of this child, it is ordered setting a cash-only bond
1:19 am
of $1 million. that million -- there are actually two different cases at this point. are they under the same case number? >> your honor, i do not believe that they are. >> they are not, your honor. the direct complaint does have a different case number. i believe that she -- the charges that will go forward from this point are the new case number that she just has been page 2'd on. >> all right. well, i'm going to set a million dollar cash-only bond as you have recommended. that said, i don't want to set the million dollar cash-only in both cases. all right. i will set $1 million cash-only bond with respect to the number 27 on the calendar.
1:20 am
the other matter being a class 4 and the court being advised that the state will likely be proceeding under number 27 alone, it's ordered setting $100,000 cash-only bond as to that case. so at this point, $1,100,000 cash-only bond on these 2 cases. and we're going to set these matters in the regional court center in the southeast facility, and my clerk will give you the paperwork for the date, time and location of the hearings. should you post these bonds, you are not to leave this jurisdiction, and you are not to have any contact with the
1:21 am
father. and is there anything else? >> not from the state. thank you, your honor. >> all right. thank you. thank you, ma'am. >> when do i get a lawyer? >> i'm sorry? >> when do i get a lawyer? i don't understand. >> you are appointed a lawyer now. and we will give you instructions on how to contact your lawyer. thank you.
1:22 am
1:23 am
1:24 am
elizabeth johnson has been charged with kidnapping and child abuse and custodial interference. police stay 23-year-old is being held on a cash-only $1.1 million bond. >> we do know that logan mcqueary brought the charges against elizabeth before, bringing cps saying there was a claim against her, she left the baby in the crib. and he would come home from work and the baby had not been changed with a soiled diaper. tie search for the boy now spans four states. authorities say they are confident he is alive. >> out the you, ellie jostad. what can you tell me about what baby gabriel's mother, elizabeth johnson, says in her jailhouse interviews? >> well, this reporter asked
1:25 am
her, you sent a text message that said you killed your son. you are telling us now you don't know where he is? do you realize how serious this looks against you? and elizabeth johnson said, no, i really don't. i did the same thing giving the baby to tammi and nobody had a problem with it. everybody thought it was a good thing, everybody is commending me and i don't really understand what the problem is now. jack smith told elizabeth johnson, without the baby, because of what you said, there is no reason for everybody to believe you have not taken the baby's life. if these people were able to keep him in seclusion, you understand that you will be charged with this because if they can't find baby and elizabeth johnson interrupted and said charged with what and tammi smith said, charged with murder. jack smith went on to say if you know any way to identify even where these people -- and johnson said, i have. i have talked to the fbi. i have cooperated. i have told them everything.
1:26 am
johnson said i made a hasty decision and i thought it would be would be. i thought it was okay. they approached men and they came up to me in the park. i believe in my heart they're good people. cccccccccc
1:27 am
1:28 am
1:29 am
1:30 am
there would be nothing that they can charge us with because we have done nothing. we have done everything the police asked us. >> a person of interest in the case of missing baby gabriel johnson admits she lied about how her cousin's name ended up to a court document. but she swears she told police all she knows about baby gabriel's disappearance. >> arizona police say the people that wanted to adopt baby gabriel say they don't know where gabriel is. they say don't know where he is. >> the home of persons of
1:31 am
interest, jack and tammi smith, searched by investigators last night. tammi smith tells us police were looking for computer evidence and paperwork, but insists they don't know where gabriel is now, and they were only trying to get him back to arizona. >> everything that she said has been completely unreliable. >> she has been barely cooperating. >> she did not want logan to have the baby and we could not adopt the baby because logan would not sign the papers, so her idea was to keep running forever. >> do you believe your son is still alive at this point? >> yes. >> why? >> it's just a feeling. >> there is a court document that was filed back in december, lists two potential fathers for little baby gabriel. one of them, logan mcqueary, the man determined to be his natural father, and another man named craig cheery. i want to ask tammi smith about
1:32 am
this. you said craig is your cousin. you did not realize elizabeth had written the name on there, but now you actually remember that you wrote the name. can you explain the discrepancy? >> i guess, you know, it was one of those things that we were rushing through this. they were about to lock the doors. and she'd asked me to fill out that one part. it was one of those things, i had been waiting for a week to talk to the police about this. i guess since i had not talked to the police, i was brushing it off to the media because i wanted to talk to them and explain the whole situation to them first. >> did you do that, tammi? did you explain this to the police last night? >> yesterday, during the day, yesterday. and what that was was she said it was a potential father and that that father went to high school with she and logan, and she feared the violent things that logan could do this her and this guy, and i will not mention it because i don't believe it now that he would have done
1:33 am
these things. but i was thinking i was saving two people from being gravely hurt as well as another family because she wanted to make up a name and put it down. i said you can't do that. she was like, let's just put jack's name. and i said, no, no, no. and they were pushing us to hurry, hurry, get this paperwork. they're zboing to lock the doors and that's basically what was done. at the moment i did forget that i wrote it down. when i saw, and they showed me the paper, i could have denied that i didn't write it but i said, oh, my god, that is my writing, and i did not realize that i had actually written that little part there. >> okay. well, let me ask matt zarrell. let's clear it up once and for all. didn't the court determine that logan mcqueary was baby gabriel's natural father? >> yes, we do have the court document. it was a firm paternity judgment. his name is on the birth certificate. >> let's go to pat brown here.
1:34 am
and you are a profiler and author of "killing for sport." there's search warrant served last night. the persons of interests, and the potential adoptive parents, questioned again last night. it's been a week since they were named persons of interest. why wait until you to serve a search warrant? >> i'm thinking they were looking for something to lead them to something else. when they came up with this, i think it was kind of like, it got them a little suspicious. look, if you are lying about one thing maybe you are lying about a lot of things. and that gives them probable cause to think there could be something else then. is it true it could lead to something else? i don't know. i see the smiths are overly involved. they may have done some squirrely things to get this baby but whether they would do things to hide this baby, i have a hard time believing that particular part. >> and also, michael board, let me ask you, is there any indication police have evidence eat thaer the baby is alive or any evidence that he's dead or been harmed somehow? i know the police in san antonio are also doing an investigation. what do you know about it?
1:35 am
>> well, what we know right now is only what elizabeth johnson is saying and she says in some cases, we know she told birth father that she killed him and stuffed his little blue body in the diaper bag and dumped it in a dumpster. the very fact she said that, whether she said she was lying or not, is being taken seriously. because we know san antonio police have looked at all the hotels where she's stayed, all the locations she's been in this san antonio. found out where the trash is in those locations and tracked that trash to one landfill here in san antonio. that's proof. even though they have not searched that landfill, it's proof that they're taking that threat seriously. >> right. >> she's also said she gave the person over -- at one time a person, a couple at a park. another time, a couple at a hotel room. she's changed her story so many times it's hard to tell what is the truth? >> bethany marshal, psycho analyst, don't police have to take this seriously? we know that johnson allegedly saent text to the boy's father, said i killed him.
1:36 am
according to him she later reiterated that she killed the baby. now she say, oh, i did it just to hurt the boy's father. what do you think is the real story sneer. >> i think when somebody makes a serious threat to self or others, it is a legal and professional obligation to step in and take it very, very seriously. i am hoping in this case that if past behavior is a predictor of future behavior the fact that bio mom tried to give away the baby once to tammi and jack smith, it would suggest perhaps hopefully she did try to give the baby away again. i am sure there is a huge online community of people desperate for babies and do not want to go through legal channels. i am hoping that's what happened. however, this mother, her life was deteriorating. her attachment to the baby was deteriorating according to the babysitter, anna lisa, when she came to baby sit the child at
1:37 am
the motel. the baby was skinny, dirty, crying. hadding intoers around its nose as if the mother no longer cared and that would suggest that perhaps the mother was preparing for the child to either decease or no longer be alive. >> she was very confident, very comfortable with the conversation. i was very upset about what this has done to my family. you know? and i started to talk to her about that and i started to cry a little bit and as i did that, her eyes welled up with tears and she got very upset. and very, very apologetic. i went on to ask her numerous questions. you know, you got to remember. this girl is a smart girl. she's got a 4.0-gpa. she got a four-year scholarship to southeastern. she knows what she's doing.
1:38 am
1:39 am
1:40 am
1:41 am
elizabeth johnson, 7/24/86. >> she appeared something totally different than she wound up being. >> a class two felony and one count of kidnapping. >> and we feel quite duped. >> breaking news. a 18-year-old babysitter reportedly took care of 8-month-old gabriel johnson a few days before christmas at a san antonio hotel where she was staying with his mother johnson allegedly told babysitter she was going to an important appointment but the sitter said she looked like she was going to a club.
1:42 am
>> she found a couple with a new car seat. and left with her baby. >> she found a couple with a new car seat? it's quite a feat. i say it's deceit. >> had a new car seat with them, put the baby in the car seat and left. >> with me right now, a very special guest joining us in a prime time exclusive from san antonio, texas. the babysitter who came to that motel room. who saw baby gabriel and saw the mother, elizabeth johnson. with me is anna lisa. thank you for being with us. what was the first thing you saw when you got into that hotel room? >> the first thing that i saw was she opened the door and she looked like she wanted to kill me. she looked very angry. and i walked in, and she handed me the baby and told me his name and left. >> when you say she looked like she wanted to kill you, what do
1:43 am
you mean by that? >> when she opened the door, she looked like she wanted to kill me. she looked very angry and upset. she looked like she was basically crazy. >> when you say crazy, what do you mean? describe her features. what did her face look like? >> her eyes were -- her eyes got very small. her nose was like crumbled up, and her mouth was closed tightly. she looked mad. she looked angry. >> was the baby crying? >> she wasn't crying when i got there but the whole time i was there he was crying. >> when you walked into the room, where was the baby? >> she -- she was holding him. >> okay. what was the first thing that she said to you? >> she said, you're late, and
1:44 am
then she said this is gabriel. he's 8 months old. she told me he should be due for a feeding in an hour. she told me where his enfamil was, his bottle and then she left. >> what about the tylenol? >> she told me she already drugged him up with medication, but that if he started to cry again, zwrous give him more medicine to shut him up. >> what condition, ana degrees lisa, was the baby in? >> he looked very thin. he definitely was not happy. he seemed to be scared for some reason. >> why do you say he seemed to be scared? >> because if i was trying to hold him -- when i was holding him, if i tried to put him down, he would cry as soon as i put him down. >> was he clean? >> no, he wasn't. i would try to play with him, and he did not want to play. all he wanted to do was be held.
1:45 am
and he didn't smile at all or anything. >> when you say he was not clean, what do you mean by that? >> i mean, he had like stains around his mouth. he had dry, you know, like ing intoers around his nose and his clothes didn't look clean. he didn't look clean or happy. >> were their toys there for baby gabriel? >> no, there wasn't. there wasn't anything -- the room didn't look suitable for a baby. she didn't have toys or books for him to read or anything like that. >> so everything was for her and nothing was there for baby gabriel? >> correct. >> did the baby seem lethargic at times? listless. inactive. tired? >> he didn't seem tired. he just seemed like he was scared. i mean, he didn't want to do
1:46 am
anything like i said. he didn't want to play or anything like that. >> he would just lay there? >> well, he wasn't laying there. i was holding him. but, yeah, he was just sitting there. he did not want to do anything. >> how much baby food did she have for him? >> she had a tube of orajel and a little bottle of tylenol. >> what about food? how much baby food did she have for him? >> she had a can ofenfamil and a few cans of baby food. >> how was elizabeth johnson dressed when she left? >> she was dressed like she was going out the a club. she was wearing very tight, low-cut jeans, a tight blouse that was showing, like, half of her stomach and she had big heels on. >> where did she say she was going? >> she told me she was going to an important appointment. >> how long was she gone? >> she was gone for two hours at the most.
1:47 am
>> what time of the day or night was it that you went to the hotel? >> i got to the hotel at around 11:45 in the morning. >> 11:45 in the morning. and you believe this was the 20th, the 19th or 20th? >> yes, i do. >> how did baby gabriel act while you were with him? did you feed him? >> yes, i fed him. i fed him a bottle, and i fed him some baby food. he acted very scared, like i said. >> what did you observe in the hotel room, analisa? >> one thing that i noticed that kind of scared me a little bit was she had like kind of like a butcher knife next to her bed. >> what else did you observe? was the room clean? was it tidy? >> no, the room was very messy.
1:48 am
she had clothes thrown everywhere. she had all of her things toy he tris thrown. it wasn't clean at all. >> i want to go back to the baby. you stated that he was thin. now, i've noticed in some of the earlier pictures he looks normal. chubby cheeks. but i had already noticed in other pictures he was already starting to look thin. how did he take the bottle? did he take the whole thing? >> yes, he did. when i gave it to him, he got like really excited. that was the only time that he actually smiled was when he got the bottle. >> did you hold him most of the time? >> yes, i held him the whole time i was there. like, he did not want to be put down. when i would try to put him down to play with him, he started crying. >> you stated that every time you tried to put him down, he would scream. you also stated he would not play with you.
1:49 am
don't you find that odd, that a little baby wouldn't play with you? >> i do because i never came across a baby that was so sad and scared. >> why do you say that? i mean, you have had a lot of experience with young children, you practically raised all of your siblings. why do you say you never have seen a baby so afraid and sad? >> every baby that i have either -- that i came in contact with is very happy, and they like to play, for sure. they don't seem scared the way gabriel did. >> what did you do to try and play with him, analisa? i mean, there were no toys. >> i tried to tickle him. i tried bouncing him on my leg up and down. i tried smiling at him. i tried to play peek-a-boo with him but nothing worked. >> what did you do with the hours that you were with baby gabriel? just hold him?
1:50 am
>> i was holding him. like i said, i was trying to play with him, make him happy at least while i was there. >> did anybody come to the door? did elizabeth johnson give you instructions if anyone knocked at the door? >> yes. elizabeth told me if anyone knocked at the door not to answer it but then the housekeeper came and opened the door with a key. >> when she finally returned, did she say she would or would not need you back as a babysitter? >> when i asked her if she would need me again, she said she didn't know because she didn't know what she was going to do next with her life. >> when she came back, was she in a better snood. >> yes, she was in a much better mood. >> did she look the same as when she left? i mean, did she still have on the same outfit? was her hair the same? >> yes, she looked the same when she came back, just much happier.
1:51 am
>> did she ask you your credentials or experience? >> no, she didn't. she knew nothing about me but my name and phone number. tonight, a very happy birthday to friend of the show sharon parnell. a beautiful lady inside and out. she's a wonderful mother. she loves to cook with jamaican spices and loves taking care of her girls. happy birthday, sharon.
1:52 am
1:53 am
1:54 am
would you state your name and date of the birth? >> elizabeth johnson, 7/23/86. tonight,mommy hauled back to arizona just a few hours ago in court before a judge whom she interrupted repeatedly. copped an attitude. >> you have been arrested on a warrant alleging custodial interference, a class 4 felony and also been arrested on new charges alleging child abuse, class 2 felony, and one count of kidnapping. >> johnson's being held on a
1:55 am
cash-only $1.1 million bond. >> she is facing charges of kidnapping, a class 2 felony, child abuse, a class 4 felony, and custodial intersfeerns. >> is there anything you want to ask me or tell sne. >> ask you? i don't know what to say but everything is so false. it's false. it's false. it's false. but when police ask her to help them find the baby, she says, absolutely nothing. nothing about the conversations she had with this couple. did she see their car tags, make an mod snell nothing. zero. >> at the bail hearing, prosecutors said at one point johnson claimed she killed her son, put his body in a diaper bag and threw him in the trash but arizona police don't believe that or her. >> we -- we want to believe that somebody has that baby. we -- jack was extremely choked up. and we -- you guys are saying things about a diaper bag and stuff and it's -- we just don't want to hear that. >> she is helping them, not
1:56 am
telling them. she is not helping make a sketch. >> we are told that johnson stayed at this hotel near the airport sometime between december 20th and the 26th. >> the clerk remembers johnson checking in and she may have had the baby with her sitting in the car seat. but one thing is for sure. he says elizabeth johnson did not use her own name. >> once we did start to talk to her, she said that her plan was to keep running. >> elizabeth knows exactly what took place, and as far as what the smiths hold, whether it's a key or only just a little more information, i can't tell you that. until i get the information itself. let's stop and remember army private kiefer wilhelm, just 19, plymouth, ohio. from a military family. awarded the army commendation medal, national service defense medal. loved music, computer, game, bonfires with friends and family. remembered for his big bear hugs. leaves behind grieving parents
1:57 am
sharon and katherine, stepmom shelly, five siblings including brother shannon serving the air force. kiefer wilhelm, american hero. thank you to our guests but our biggest thank you to you for being with us. see you tomorrow night 8:00 sharp eastern. and until then, good night, friend. i'm a.j. hammer. this is a "showbiz tonight" news break. here's what's coming up on "showbiz tonight" at the top of the hour s. jay leno the big villain? the late-night smackdown takes a super nasty turn. whose side are you on? brand new jon and kate bombshells. the real story behind girlfriend and does kate really hate her new do? that's your "showbiz tonight" news break for friday night at
1:58 am
the top of the hour right here on hln.
1:59 am

96 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on